Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Vestigial Trolley Rails

Are my new enemy.

Die Hard 4 is filming in Baltimore and that may not have been the reason traffic was backed up on Guilford this morning, but backed-up it was and I sailed up the line of cars to Pleasant Street like the badass I secretly am.

At Pleasant and Guilford there was a jam, so I eased in around cars and, blocked off from my favorite side of the road (left), I went for the middle. Where the trolley rails are.

Of course I was not PERPENDICULAR to these wheeltrapsofdeath and of course I got stuck and fell slowly to my right. A bus driver exclaimed 'Oh My!' as I righted myself and reversed direction towards the safety of the rail-less left side of the street.

Thank god traffic wasn't moving and I was going slowly and I was on the Nishiki, which allows me lickity-split dismounting (no toe clips!). Otherwise it would have been curtains for me.

Those of you who've been to Baltimore may be wondering - "Trolleys? I ain't never seen no trolleys there!" Well you're right! There are NO TROLLEYS. Nothing uses those tracks anymore. They exist purely to KILL CYCLISTS. Honestly. I wouldn't hate 'em so much if they were being used for public transportation.

No comments: