Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Not Dead!

I commuted to work today on the fixie and didn't die.

I even did a good job with the toe clips, after practicing last night.

More good news - Floyd Landis looks to have a strong case for dismissal.

And for all my grouching about having to obtain Maryland residency so I could have my car registered here, I went and voted in the Democratic primary this morning. This was the first time I'd voted in the States since the 2000 election. Rah rah, civic duty, hooray.

I think my favorite vote was still the 2004 election when Bob and I were commanded to go to the embassy in Bamako and not worry about mosquito nets for a couple hours by our Senegalese director. "Go be citizens!" she said. "I can't vote, so take the morning and go do your duty." We sat for a while in the waiting room with all the Malians trying to get visas, while Mary Beth gleefully received our ballots from behind the bullet-proof glass. A woman next to me peered over at my absentee ballot, the punch kind, and asked what I was doing. "Je vote!" I said. "Ah, c'est bien, voter c'est bien," she replied.

Yeah, voting is good. I guess. I'm just not quite ready to be a real Marylander yet.

No comments: