Thursday, July 05, 2007

Walking to work

I always prefer to ride my bike, but my fixie died and it is raining today anyway, so today I took the shuttle and walked from Mt. Vernon. It is always great to have the iPod in, listening to my new (and old) favorite songs with the Baltimore soundscape in the background. Ambulance sirens dopplering into sight and then into the distance, the mobile Shred-It trucks munching up paper near the hospital, construction trucks beepbeepbeeping as they reverse into a narrow delivery zone. The sights are nice too, like the crew of three Latino guys down in a hole working on a gas line, while their supervisor leans up against the backhoe chatting on his cellphone with his chica, smiling broadly and glancing down occasionally at his men. Or watching the broad back of the maintenance guy walking ahead of me in a grey tshirt, thinking, man, that guy looks just like a meathead. And I bet if he hit you, you would fall down.

I love Baltimore.

No comments: