Thursday, October 11, 2007

Trainspotting

Not the movie about heroin, but the original trainspotters, and planespotters, who track flights and trains and know each type of aircraft by its silhouette, and how many horsepower the engines have.

I do this with bikes.

I used to do this with trucks in Gabon, knowing who was driving what was of vital importance. A new 4x4 in town was cause for sleuthing.

Walking into work in the rain wasn't particularly fun this morning until I came to the Au Bon Pain and saw the Messenger slowly arriving at the Randstad building ahead of me. Blue tires. Chrome track bars. No brakes. This was not necessarily the bike I had seen parked outside of Rocket to Venus where I believed he also worked on Tuesday nights, so I'm both excited (a sighting!) and disappointed (harder to track down the track bike now). Rumpled white buttondown with sleeves rolled up. A very pleasant morning.

No comments: