Monday, October 08, 2007

Fun is Ouch

I had a really nice weekend! I took no pictures so there is no proof of this, however.

A pleasant backyard bbq Friday night with the peoples, limited sleep Friday night and an interrupted (by roommate's zip-code question) nap, leading into frantic packing of non-lightweight camping gear and making of pb&h sandwiches. Picked up Ian and Lucy and Buster the dog and drove out Annapolis Rocks, where we commenced a 2.25 mile hike directly uphill. Before it flattened out I started getting that panicky, roaring in the ears feeling. Fortunately three Teach for America volunteers who climb at the JHU wall appeared and fear of embarassing myself won out over fainting.

Did I mention it was really hot and my pack was heavy and non-ergonomic?

We camped that night and watched the sunset; Buster scarfed my apple.

In the morning we set up a couple ropes and climbed. Plenty of overhangs and roofs, nice horizontal hand cracks, and a gratuitous heel hook on the 10a made things fun. Second time around I finally finished the tough overhung section that drew blood from my knuckles. The sun started hitting our west-facing rocks around 3pm, so instead of staying to sweat even more we packed up and hiked out, cursing my pack (which Bryan had found in a dumpster) most of the way. The brewpub on Market Street in Frederick had a nice Hefewiezen and a decent pulled pork sandwich, but an especially scrumptious sherry lobster tomato bisque.

I'm achy, cut, bruised around the collarbones, and a little worried about the tightness in my left achilles, but how nice to be outside and climbing again. Marin took some pictures so if I receive them I will share....so you can believe me.

No comments: