Monday, November 10, 2008

Caramelized or Carbonized? And how to slice a pizza



I wasn't sure what to make for dinner last night - I had a little bit of broccoli that was slowly turning brown, some leftover mozzarella floating in water, and a lot of tomato sauce. Among other things. Some sort of pasta bake? Well, we're all out of non-spaghetti pasta. Maybe pizza?

The answer to Maybe pizza? is always yes.

I whipped up some dough and started caramelizing onions (part of random resolution #41, making something you've never made twice a week). Everything was looking good until I got off the phone with my parents. People! Do not call your parents, put your dog in a down stay, and then forget to check on your onions because you're too busy checking if your dog is still obeying you!

I left them about 2 minutes too long and there was much blackness, but not so much that I wasn't going to use them on my pizza. My other thought was, if I make myself eat these, I won't ever forget about onions again.

Of course if you have caramelized onions you do not need tomato sauce on your pizza, so there is still a large container of it in the fridge. The pizza, however, was delicious, with the onions and the steamed broccoli and a few tiny pieces of Philly's Best Pepperoni and some (ok, a little too much) red pepper flakes. And the mozz.

Back in my youth we used to get pizza from Timpone's, who were famous for their "campustown" pizza, thin crust, sliced in half and then into strips. This was an ingenious way to make pieces of pizza that are always 'mouth-width', and prevent a lot of the messiness of biting into a huge broccoli floret or mushroom or what have you, and it sliding off along with all of the cheese remaining on the slice. As I am partial to thin crust pizza myself, I think I'll start cutting up my pies like this all the time. I think they even taste better!

No comments: