Thursday, August 24, 2006

BB Adjustment

I had a couple drinks at happy hour with the young work crowd and biked home. Everyone is busy or out of town so I figured I'd go down to Velocipede and get some advice on my bottom bracket. It would have been nice to ride the Nishiki with Miss P's frameset strapped to my back, but I was lazy and drove.

Museum dude was there and told me to talk to Beth, who checked my work and said "Hm, there's a lot of play in there. Better tighten things up!" So I tightened up the fixed cup which made the spindle not turn. Oops. Christian was there and feeling helpful so we messed around with bbs and grease and tools and after much fiddling got the spindle in there pretty good. Put the cranks on to try it out and Hellyeah! she spun nice and smooth, no play at all. Nishiki guy rolled in, and he works in my organization! I'd never seen him in the hallway or nuthin', so we chatted a bit and I searched for more crank options. No luck, though I did find the box with all the left cranks in it. It was kind of a sad little box, all these guys with no partner, hoping to be matched at least with a right crank of the same length and general shape. Made me hope I don't end up like that....where's my sugino right crank arm and chainring? Then again, will I really be happy when I find him? How will I know he's the right one?

So it's back to ebay (for cranks, not boys!). Patience, grasshopper. The right deal will come along. In the meantime, use lots of grease in those cups and make your fine adjustments so that things run smooth when they finally arrive.

No comments: