Monday, October 27, 2008

Dropbox

www.getdropbox.com.

Hopefully this will prevent me from almost losing lots of files when I think they are on my laptop, but really they are not, and I delete the only copies from my USB drivekey thingie, only to search and search and search through my laptop at home and then through my emails and then through my sent emails. The IT people at work claim we will all have something like this very very soon, and all the stuff on our shared drive, which is only available in the Baltimore office and therefore pretty useless to our field office staff, will be up in the cloud. I kind of love the cloud. And this Dropbox, it syncs things, so when I'm working on my minutes from the net use meeting 3 weeks ago, I don't have to save the latest version onto my USB thing and then take it to work and copy over the last version on the work computer. Everything updates, you can share things, you can get a link to a document to send to someone who doesn't have a Dropbox account, and it has this cute little icon that has a rotating arrow when it is updating your stuffs.

Kind of yucky day today at work for no good reason, took off to search for the lost document in the afternoon, and now, of course, feeling a bit better because I found the doc, made changes, and sent it to a nice man for review before our nice phone call tomorrow. Accomplishing actual things always clears the funk. Now off to confit some leeks for a near-future goat cheese tart thing, and figure out dinner.

No comments: