Saturday, June 28, 2008

DIY African light fixture


Back when I was in the Peace Corps I had my own little house, and to while away the hours I built shelves and hinged window screens and made tortillas by hand. Over my bed of course I had hung an insectide-treated mosquito net, which was a hassle to get in and out of but kept me malaria-free for the full 27 months.

Actually, the net wasn't a hassle so much as it was annoying to be reading in bed and then fall asleep and have the overhead light still be on (yes, I had electricity and running water, and eventually a fridge, and no, I don't think it substantially changes the overall experience). So I went to the Malians and got myself a plug, some wire, a switch, a bulb and a light socket, and asked my post-mate Mike to show me how to wire it all up into a lamp. The idea being, I place the switch on my headboard, just outside the mosquito net but pokeable from inside, and I hang the lightbulb overhead.

This I did and have been a fan of small lamp projects ever since. My innovation even diffused as far as Lambarene to Jason's house after he spent a few nights in my guest room, which I had also rigged up, because hell why not?

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I'm in Bamako at the Bla Bla, fabled grill and bar, and the go-to meetup spot for volunteers and expats alike. The pork chops, by the way, are to die for, but what really intrigued me this time were the lights hanging above the bar, set in the middle of the room. They were pairs of plastic plates and bowls and cups, hanging pendant-style, colored flying saucers glowing softly from the inside.

Fortunately the plastic bowl market is right next to the artisan's market I always go to, which is conveniently next to a very nice Ecole de Boulangerie where you can get a decent coffee and pain-au-chocolat. I manage to outline my idea to the plastic-bowl-tigi (tigi being the Bambara word for 'holder' or really 'seller'), and I rustle up pairs of bowls, large and small, and some purple cups.

I finally finished everything today to make my own light fixture for the back porch. I had to cannibalize a cord from a lamp that was almost dead, so I feel the sacrifice was worth it.

I think it looks pretty nice.

3 comments:

julia f said...

OMG those are wonderful.

Red Root said...

YAY I can't wait to see!

Jen Orkis said...

hk, you never cease to amaze me...