Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pooperama

Hey! So things have been really shitty lately. To top it all off I finally went to the dentist after 3 years, or more like 6 really since I don't count the Malian dentist who checked my teeth in Bamako when I left the Peace Corps. Everything looked pretty good until they got the LASER out. Apparently it measures the density of your tooth to find hidden cavities. Cool! Normal range is like 1-10, over 25 is a cavity, and it goes up to 100 (totally rotting, shell of the tooth's former self, fasttrack to dentures). It makes a little noise in your mouth like a tiny buzzsaw. So Vicky, the totally nice hygienist who looks like Lily Tomlin and told me all about her overbearing mother who never let her travel and made her get married, "not that THAT worked out", runs the LASER around my mouth. Wrrrrrr. So far so good. WrrrrEeeeer. Oops. Small cavity. WrrrrrrrrrrrrrEeerr. Another small cavity. Jeepers. WrrrrrrEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEr. 87! Holy crap! There is DECAY IN MY MOUTH. Fucking hell.

Mind you, I have never ever had a cavity before.

Also over the weekend my window was leaking rain onto my head through infintessimate gaps in the woodwork, which may have contributed to the massive sickness that was my weekend and my monday. Monday was a full-on sickday spent lying in bed feeling sorry for myself, making toast with moldy bread because that's what we had, watching 7 hour-long episodes of Friday Night Lights, a TV show about Texas high school football shot with a gritty handheld realism. It's not as good as West Wing but it is damn good. The pilot episode made me cry. Of course, just about everything makes me cry right now (the end of Bobby, on the plane), which just makes me feel bad because I'm being a Debbie Downer for all my friends and family. Vicious cycle, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, this morning I was actually happy as I woke up, but I think it was just because I had been able to breathe through my nose the entire night, and so my mouth wasn't filled with awful dried saliva and nastiness. Probably just because all that has now settled into my lungs, super!

Edith and I are trying to buy a house. This is awesome. Plus she got into Hopkins Med School because like duh! she kicks ass. We drove around looking at neighborhoods on Sunday, in the rain, near both UMD and JHU, lots of cheap stuff in the ghetto near boarded up blocks, but a lot of cool cute places to be had in the nicer areas. Very exciting. If only I had time at work to look for houses, because my stupid Mac is about to get a thrashing for being so goddamn slow. I know it's 4 years old, which makes it the Methusalah of Macs, but that doesn't make it any easier when the spinning color wheel of frustration comes up everytime I ask it to switch programs or google something.

But hey. We all got problems.

No comments: